Saturday, December 26, 2009

XXVIII. The Boxing Day Blues.


Now comes the time of withdraws. This is the reason I hate Christmas: It comes to an end far too fast for my little mind.

Gone now is the Christmas music on the radio. The Yule Log on the telly came to an end too fast last night. It seems that the season just started for me and BOOM! Now it has ended.

I do love the Christmas season. I am a purest. DO NOT have Christmas things BEFORE Thanksgiving. No sales! No music! No decorations! No nothing Christmas before the Day of Thanks. But the moment the bird is in the belly and Santa ends the Macy's Day Parade then we can go FULL BORE CHRISTMAS!

Its not the gift giving and the commercial end of Christmas I like. In fact the commercial end can just go to Hades for all I care. Its that true thing about Christmas that I love, the reason Christ is in mas. The gift giving is something I do like as long as it does not go out of hand. Its a symbol of the gift God gave us with His Son. But you don't need 'Black Friday' for that.

The gathering of family and friends is always nice, although for me the gatherings have been getting smaller and smaller as time goes on. This is something that does distress me a bit when I remember the huge clans that came together in my youth to celebrate the holiday. But enjoy what you have, that's what I say.

The food, oh the food. Turkey and Ham. Mashed potatoes and corn. Lemon bars and fudge. Wine and mead! The things that are put in our bellies that also seems to fuel the soul.

Needless to say that the music and the church services always lend a bit of joy in my heart. The start of a new church year after the LONG so many days after Pentecost season.

But now as we reach the day after, I feel the withdraws coming. It will go away in a few days. But it will be there. But there is always next year, and with that a smile comes to my face. So I hope you all had a great Christmas and as the New Year comes upon us I trust that this you will ring it out with smiles and look for to the new one with hope for a better year.


Eririk Farwanderer
26 December, 2009 Anno Domini.

No comments:

Post a Comment