Saturday, December 12, 2009

XIX. An Odd Dream.


The other night I truly had an odd dream. I really cannot remember the whole thing, but the idea of it is fresh in my mind.

It was a conversation with a dead man...

David 'Chip' Reese to be exact. The late professional poker player.

Now why I would have such a dream I do not know. But he was dead. He was on the other side. I remember how surprised he looked when I told him how the poker world taken his death hard. That many players that knew him still have not shaken off the shock of his passing. He was even more surprised at my telling him that the $50K H.O.R.S.E. Tournament that he won in its first year would be named after him...

...why so surprised. Because even though the man knew he was one of the best, he was humble. He was courteous. He was a gentleman.

Maybe that is the lesson we must learn from him. Try to be the best, but remember that we are just people. That even if we are the top of the field, we must treat others as we would want them to treat us.

I never met Chip Reese, but maybe the other night I did...


Eirik Farwanderer
12 December, 2009 Anno Domini

No comments:

Post a Comment