Saturday, December 5, 2009

XII. The Home of Lost Opuses.


Not too long ago I was at Goodwill in Shakopee and was aghast at what I saw: A lone stuffed Opus in a pile of teddy bears, clowns and the like.

How could anyone let go of a stuffed Opus? Don't they know the worth of a stuffed Opus is? Well, at Goodwill it was .50¢. But that is not the point! A stuffed Opus is like a happy Buddha, good luck! Rub his nose in the morning and all will be good - maybe.

I got my first Opus around 1985 and still have him with his tag. The tag is a bit worn, but he still has it. This poor lost Opus didn't have that, and his poor foot was tore a bit. So what did I do? I did what any true and good 'Bloom County' fan would have done - I rescued him!

So home he came and his poor foot was sewed, almost like new. Now he sits with my first Opus and a mini Opus I got at a convention that is dressed like Tom Baker's 4th Doctor.

But look at that mug. How could ANYONE who had an Opus let the poor thing go? He is an icon of the 80's and even into the 90's. The sign of innocence that can only be found in a flightless swimming bird that eat herring and hates walruses.

So of that date my home has become the 'Home of Lost Opuses' all. Any poor Opus that has been so cruelly and thoughtlessly discarded will be rescued by me and have a haven to live their lives out without fear of a walrus attack or British invasion of an island that was invaded by Argentina that the British colonized all those years ago.

Then again, maybe I have too much time on my hands.


Eirik Farwanderer
5 December, 2009 Anno Domini.

No comments:

Post a Comment