Thursday, December 10, 2009

XVII. The Worse Beer I Have Ever Had.


Back when the Micro Beer/Brew Pub craze was in it's full there came many new places to try crafted beer. Anyone who knows me knows that I HATE wimpy watered down pee water, especially if it has the word 'lite' in it. For me 'light' stands for the colour of the beer, not 'less filling'. I will write later on my views on proper drinking but this is not the time for that yet.

With this craze came a new brew pub called 'The Brew Station' that was located in Shakopee near Marshall Avenue and the then new Highway 169. Now please note the very important word: WAS.

Now wanting to explore the world for new styles and crafts of beer I was more than happy to swing by and give a try. Joining me was my father and a friend I believe was Bruce Truman, but please forgive me I seemed to have forgotten over time. Now The Brew Station was also trying to pass itself off as a pizzeria also, which kinda gave me a warm feeling inside me, for pizza is one of the food groups (YES, it is a food group, don't try to fight me on this) that I enjoy far too often. So needless to say I was interested in what they offered in that area also.

Now I should have seen the ill omens the moment I walked into they place: Far TOO many quarter to half full pitchers of beer and no one around to 'enjoy' them. The other was looking at the menu and seeing what I deem as 'Metrosexual Pizza's'. These are the 'artsy fartsy' pizza's that people put ungodly items on, and will suffer in the afterlife for it.

Sitting down at the bar (looking at the almost full pitchers) the bartender rushes up with a giant smile and offered us FREE beer. Another ill omen. No bar OFFERS free beers. Maybe a sample but never a full free beer, and in this case a pitcher. Well, what the hell, free beer, lets give it a try...

...and into the valley of death rode the six hundred.

Now ones eyes should not cross when drinking beer unless it is the 'nectar of the gods'. Sadly my eyes crossed. Needless to say that this was not a good crossing of the eyes. Looking upon my drinking companions and seeing the same look on their faces that I assumed was on mine I came to the conclusion that the beer had the same effect on them as it did on me. This was the worse beer I had tasted, even worse then Bud Lite. In fact Bud Lite would have won the gold medal for brewing compared to this swamp water that was in my hand. The bartender was looking at us eager for praise, so I told him the biggest lie that would surly send me to hell if it was under a different situation, for I knew God would understand. I told him that it was very good. The other two just nodded unable to say anything and pleased as punch that I damned my soul for them.

The bartender smiled and rushed off to the other end of the bar to his next victims that just entered. Seeing our out we ran, and in running did something I have never done before or since: I left a full glass of beer behind me.

Needless to say the lesson that was learned was this. Just because the place is a brew pub does not mean they have good beer, or in this case, drinkable beer. The place closed up after a short time of poisoning people with bad brew and 'metrosexual pizza's' and is now a paint store, which I think is apt because paint would have tasted better.


Eirik Farwanderer
10 December, 2009 Anno Domini.

No comments:

Post a Comment