Wednesday, December 16, 2009

XXIV. Mind Wanderings...


The other night I was watching 'Poker After Dark' on DVR. What is so entertaining about 'Poker After Dark' is the table talk between the players. Now I know that some events wish to get rid of the table talk. BUT table talk is part of the game. The stories and prop bets and the digging for info and tells.

Now on that week of episodes one of the best Omaha Hi/Pot Limit players by the name of Robert Williamson was on. Now one point he brought up was how he still got Coke (For us in the North Coke is the brand, not all soda/pop/colas) in bottles because that is the best way to drink the things. Now I could not agree more. In fact for a treat I like to hit Mexican aisle of the super market to get a bottle of Coke made in Mexico. They still use cain sugar instead of that corn goop we have in the States, just like the old days.

Now that reminds me of when I was a youth (well early teens) and I spent some parts of my summer with my late Uncle Vern in a rented cabin by the lake. Uncle Vern was a dried out booze hound, and did it all by himself. No 30 day chip needed for that stubborn German/Norwegian. So what we did was load up the fridge with bottles of Coke (This was the mid 80's) and play Cribbage well into the night while listening to the radio and the loons. He would go out early and fish, and I would have to clean the suckers. But what was great was the Commander Inn Garbage Pizza. Both Uncle Vern and I could hold our own when it came to eat, BUT, the Commander Inn Garbage Pizza would always do us in. Had to bring back half the thing to nibble over the night over Cribbage.

Cribbage was taught to me by my Dad. Many hours was played between us at home and in bars. I do not know how many bars in your area have Cribbage Boards, but up here in Minnesnowcold we have a few. Others would come and go trying their hand at it, but the most hours was between my Dad and I and Uncle Vern and I. But as time went along I moved to poker. Texas Hold'Em and Omaha and the such playing in the bar leagues. I'm not too bad at it really...

Which reminds me, I was watching 'Poker After Dark' the other night...


Eirik Farwanderer
16 December, 2009 Anno Domini.

No comments:

Post a Comment