Saturday, November 28, 2009

VIII. The Lost Holiday?


It seems to me that we have lost a holiday and replaced it with a fake holiday. The push for Christmas has seemed to erase Thanksgiving from the mind of retailers so that they can celebrate 'Black Friday', the new holiday for November.

To see the Christmas items in the store BEFORE Halloween just depresses me for Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays out there. But how can you push SALES when everyone just about shuts down for that Thursday. Plus you don't give 'Thanksgiving Gifts' which puts a crimp on sales.

So now it's Halloween, Black Friday and Christmas being the new big three holidays for this time of year. But what a depressing name 'Black Friday' is. It sounds like the name that should be given for Good Friday. I know that the 'Black' is good for business because they move into the 'black' from the 'red' on the balance sheets. But remember another 'black' day in history? 'Black Tuesday' when the market crashed in 1929. That was not good for the balance sheets, that's for sure.

'Black Friday' is not a holiday for me in any way. I do not go for the commercial end of Christmas, I remember what it is for: The birth of Christ. For other faiths it is their time also for remembrance and not shopping.

So I'll just keep Thanksgiving and let the others have that depressing Friday to themselves.


Eirik Farwanderer
28 November, 2009 Anno Domini

No comments:

Post a Comment