Tuesday, November 24, 2009

VI. What can I say? I am Hooked.


What can I say? I am hooked. I remember back in 1983 when a 4 hour Science Fiction television event happened. It was called 'V'. It had me hooked from the start and I ate up every minute of the mini series. Then that next year came the 6 hour 'V: The Final Battle' that gave us new characters to love, but started to weaken a bit. Then BOOM, they dropped that bomb which was 'V: The Series'. My heart was crushed and the whole 'V' thing faded away...

...until now.

I have never been a real fan of this 're-imagining' of TV shows and movies. They always seemed to fall WAY short of the original and filled with politically correct garbage, which means that it was 'safe dribble' for the networks or studios to run with. Why did we need Wil Smith in a 'Wild, Wild West' remake? Why do we need to have a mindless 'Lost in Space' movie? Please do NOT get me started on 'BattleTrek Galactiprise'! I have not even seen the newest 'Star Trek'!

When I heard that they were going to start 'V' all over again the first thing through my Dane Bramaged little mind was 'oh no, not again'. But for some reason I watched that first episode, sadly coming in a bit late. I was hooked. This is not PC garbage at all! This was believable! How the V's had sent sleepers ahead to prepare. How they bring 'Hope' and 'Change' to a people that want it unable to see the price they have to pay for it. How there are those V that do not like what is going on and are rebels against their own kind.

When one looks at history you can see how these all have been fitting together so far in the first 4 episode that have aired on ABC. Even the infighting between family members. Science Fiction has suffered lately in television in my humble opinion with the last great show being Babylon 5. I had been wondering what the next show would be that could grab my attention. This one is it!

If you love SF TV watch this! If you just love good TV watch this! Turn off the 'reality' shows and see what television can really do!

Entertain with a great story.

Erirk Farwanderer
24 November, 2009 Anno Domini

No comments:

Post a Comment