Saturday, November 21, 2009

I. Michael and Me


I cannot help but still feel the loss of Michael Jackson. Not the over hyped freak show pop star, but the Beer Hunter. For several year Michael was the head judge at the Home Brew Festival that took place in October at the now sadly closed Sherlock's Home in Minnetonka, Minnesota. It was there that I was lucky enough to become an acquaintance of his and it came not from the love of great beers, but of books.

Michael had written many books on both beer and single malt whiskey which I was more then happy to add to my collection for he was an excellent writer in these fields. But one year I came with a book that quite surprised him - his book on mixing drinks. It had been out of print for ages and hard to find. I found one at a bottle shop in Bloomington and picked it up for the oddity of it. anyone who knows me can tell you I love books, and sometime the odd ones are the ones that grab me.

"Where did you find that?" he asked when I handed it to him to sign. Michael was about to release an updated version of that book the next year and we started in on a conversation about our love of novels and tomes. Michael always recognized me after that and always greeted me with a great smile with the question did I find any interesting new books.

Sadly Sherlock's Home closed and the festival ended, and I never saw Michael again. He passed away in August of 2007. A video came up on YouTube of his last interview (click here for that interview) that still gives me tears.
If you choose to watch it, please make note on his ideals are on drinking. You will find that true beer drinkers have that same ideal.

I do not forget to give a toast to the memory of Michael when I am drinking a beer that I know he would approve of, or even a single malt. I miss his writing and wit, but they still live on in his books and articles.

Cheers Michael,

Eirik Farwanderer
21 November, 2009 Anno Domini.

No comments:

Post a Comment