Tuesday, February 21, 2012

XXX. Fat Tuesday, Bock Wednesday.

Tis Fat Tuesday! Mardi Gras! Carnival! Shrove Tuesday! Fastnacht! The time to fatten up for the long 40 days of fasting and preparedness of Lent. This is the time in the Christian world where Jesus the Savior makes a grand exit for the sins of the world.

During this time many people, most notably Roman Catholics, give things up to help keep in mind the great sacrifice of the Lord. No meat on Friday (many still do this year round), something meaningful in life or even fasting.

Out of this tradition of fasting came a style of beer that many people turn their noses up at and have given wild stories about the origin: Bock! My favorite is that Bock Beer is the dregs cleaned out of the vats at the end of the year, which my grandfather still believes but needless to say is not true.

It was during this time in the 14th Century in Einbeck, Germany that monks came up with a loophole in this whole fasting thing. No food with hard work and praying makes for a dull monk. So being German they did what they knew best, brewed a heavy beer to help them through the day which they called 'Liquid Bread'. Dark, thick and heavy, it was not your guzzling beer. As time went along this beer was brewed in many fashions for the area it was made, but still being a dark heavy beer. There are some 'watered down' version for today's tastes, but it still has a darker colour to it.

So, why I am writing about this? Well, it's not only Catholics that give things up in this time. I myself am a good Missouri Synod Lutheran and I do this. Not because I HAVE to do it or that it will make me look better in the eyes of God. It's because I do believe that we need to do things to help remind us of why things are, traditions. Those that know me know that I LOVE beer. Not your weak, wimpy mass brewed water with 3.2% alcohol but beers with taste and body that is enjoyed for reasons other then the 'lets get buzzed fast and act stupid' purpose.

I am one who enjoys the British and Irish styles of beers from IPA's to Bitter. A Scotch ale to an Irish Porter. Yes, other styles of beer from around the world I drink, but these are my favorite. So when this time comes I forsake these all. ALL styles of beer save one: Bock.

Now people laugh at me when I say this. 'Oh, you really are not giving up anything! You still are having beer!' Yes, this is true. I still have beer. But for me I do not stay with a constant style of beer. In one sitting I may have two or three radically different styles because I do enjoy the variety. To be settled to only ONE style is taking much away. But also it helps remind me of the time of the year I am in. Of those that in their own ways served God. That out of an order of monks the man who started the Reformation and the church I belong to came. I do truly believe that Martin Luther did try to find a loophole in the Holy Supper so as to use beer instead of wine. Needless to say he didn't.

This last night of feasting and festivities will now lead into that time of reflection. Of Hosannas instead of Hallelujahs. A time to slow down and remember. I do ask those that do drink that fine brew of grain and are faithful to maybe do this thing also. To only take up Bock in this time to help you along these 40 days to that great exit made for us sinners.


Eirik Farwanderer
21 February, 2012 Anno Domini.

No comments:

Post a Comment